Thursday, March 24, 2011

Little Moments

I just had a great moment at my son's school today. I volunteer in the school library on Thursday mornings, and I always stop by the playground as I'm leaving to say hello to my son and spend a moment with him. I usually check out a book to read to him when I'm in the library, and lately it's become a ritual that I sit and read to him on the playground before I go home for the day.

Today was a nasty weather day. It was cold and windy, and the wind was hurling little needles of rain at everything and everyone. I crouched down to show my son the book I'd checked out for him. He asked me to read it, and within moments I had a circle of 6-year-olds around me wanting to hear the story. They listened, talked about the pictures, laughed, and smiled shyly at me from under the hoods of their coats. I hammed up the story and made it as entertaining as possible, and I could feel how much the children were enjoying themselves. In that moment, I knew why I had gotten out of bed that morning.

I think I'll do that every week.

5 comments:

  1. How wonderful, Maggie! Makes me want to read out loud to my kids again. I read to my boys every night until the eldest hit 9th grade. In 7th grade he said he was too old for it (a thought the 5th grader echoed) but then I bought a copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and sucked them in for another 2 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading to my kids is the best part of my day. If I could make a living reading to kids all day, I would.

    ReplyDelete